What are Skin Lesions?
A skin lesion is an area of the skin that has an abnormal growth of appearance. There are many different conditions that may result in different types of skin lesions. Some examples of common lesions that may need to be removed include warts, moles, skin tags, squamous cell carcinoma, sebaceous cysts, lipomas, and more.
There are a number of reasons for skin lesion removal, including:
- The lesion is precancerous or cancerous.
- The lesion has caused chronic skin irritation.
- Cosmetic preference.
If you ever notice a new growth or lesion that has appeared, or if you have a lesion that bleeds, scabbed over, grows over time, or changes color, be sure to see a dermatologist right away. It is always safer to have a suspicious-looking lesion checked out than have to deal with complications later on.
Removal Options for Skin Lesions
There are a number of different removal techniques available for skin lesions. Most patients are awake during these procedures, and numbing medicine will be used in the treatment area to ensure your comfort. In some cases, stitches may be used to close the wound. There is generally little to no downtime required following lesion removal, so patients can return to their everyday routines as soon as they feel comfortable. Removal treatment options include:
- Biopsy: Your doctor will remove a small part of the lesion. The sample is then sent to be examined under a microscope to see if there are any cancer cells present.
- Excision: The entire lesion is cut out, as well as a surrounding margin of healthy skin around it.
- Cryosurgery: Liquid nitrogen will be used to freeze and destroy skin cells. The lesion will fall off over time.
- Mohs Surgery: During Mohs surgery, the doctor will remove tissues layer by layer to check for cancer cells.
- Curettage: A special tool is used to scrape away areas of the lesion.
- Laser Surgery: A special laser device is used to destroy skin lesions.
Depending on the type of lesion that was removed, there may be a chance that it grows back over time, requiring further surgery. Dr. Erwin can discuss this with you prior to your procedure.
Ideal Candidates for Skin Lesion Removal
Individuals who have any type of skin lesion that is bothersome, painful, or unsightly can often benefit from skin lesion removal. Those who smoke, have suppressed immune system, or who have bleeding disorders or circulatory problems may not be good candidates for this treatment. An assessment by Dr. Erwin is the first step needed to properly diagnose and treat your skin lesion for the best possible results.
Contact Us Today
If you would like to learn more about skin lesion removal and if you are a good candidate, contact our office today by calling 979-543-9933! We will be happy to assist you in scheduling your first appointment with Dr. Erwin, during which she can assess your lesion to determine the best plan of action.