While we all know that it is important to wear sunscreen in the summer to avoid sunburn, did you know that sunscreen should be worn year-round? Most of the sun’s rays can pass through clouds, so even if it is cloudy outside, you could still be damaging your skin if you are not protecting it. In the winter months, the snow can even reflect UV rays, increasing your risk for sun damage. That is why, no matter the weather or season, sunscreen is a very important part of your daily skincare routine.
There are many reasons why sunscreen should be applied daily, with the most important being:
- It protects your skin from UV rays.
- It lowers your risk for skin cancer.
- It prevents premature skin aging.
- It helps to maintain an even skin tone.
- You have a higher risk for skin cancer if you have red hair.
At our office, we offer a large selection of sunscreens and sun protection products that are proven to keep your skin healthy. These products include:
- EltaMD UV Lotion SPF 30: This sunscreen is great for all skin types!
- EltaMD Clear SPF 45: This sunscreen is lightweight and oil-free to protect sensitive and acne-prone skin. It contains hyaluronate to hydrate and lactic acid to clear pores and reduce shine.
- EltaMD UV Aero Broad-spectrum SPF 45: This sunscreen is ideal for protecting any part of the body from the sun.
- EltaMD Lip balm SPF 31: This lip sunscreen is effective, and stays on all day!
- SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense: This water-resistant sunscreen is a must-have for every day. This is Dr. Erwin’s personal favorite!
- SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50: This sunscreen is great for all skin types, and is water-resistant.
- SkinCeuticals Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50: This sunscreen is great for oily or acne-prone skin.
- SkinCeuticals Sport SPF 50: Great for all skin types, this sunscreen is water, sweat, and heat resistant.
- SkinCeuticals Light Moisture: This sunscreen is great for daily use on the face and body.
- Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Brush-On SPF 50: As a brush-on sunscreen, it is great for avoiding greasy messes! Available in tinted and non-tinted.
- Colorescience Even Up Pigment Perfector SPF 50: This product evens out skin tone while protecting your skin from UV rays.
- Colorescience All Calm: This product naturalizes redness, and provides sun protection. It is great for sensitive skin.
- Colorescience Total Eye 3 in 1 Renewal Therapy SPF 35: Is great for improving dark circles, wrinkles, and puffiness around the eyes. The tinted formula also brightens while protecting the skin.
- Colorescience Lip Shine SPF 50: This water-resistant lip balm protects your delicate lips from UV rays.
- ISDIN SPF 50: Is used to protect and repair the skin to prevent precancerous lesions.
Do I need to wear sunscreen every day?
If youre going outside for almost any amount of time, it is always recommended to wear sunscreen. This is because there are harmful UV rays present nearly constantly, especially on sunny days when the sun is up. But even use it in the rain and on cloudy days. Protecting your skin at all times helps prevent premature aging and the risk of skin cancer.
Whats the best kind of sunscreen?
The best sunscreen is the one that works best for you and your skincare routine. We recommend broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen, but there are many effective and lightweight sunscreens out there for all skin types.
How does sunscreen work?
Sunscreen either reflects UV rays away from the skin or absorbs them, converting the harmful energy into heat. commercial sunscreens tend to be the absorbent type whereas mineral and tinted sunscreens tend to be the reflective type.
Can I wear makeup with sunscreen?
Yes! Some sunscreens, like Coloresciences line of sunscreen products and Skinceuticals physical fusion, are partially designed to blend in with your natural skin tone for a seamless look and all-day protection.
How often do I need to apply sunscreen?
If youre out in direct sunlight, you probably need to reapply your sunscreen at least once every two hours. If youre going in and out of sunlight, you should think about reapplying each time you re-expose yourself.
Contact Us Today
If you are interested in learning more about the importance of daily sun protection or would like to learn more about our sunscreen products, contact our office today by calling (979) 612-2761 or completing the online form! We will be happy to assist you in any way that we can.